Get real-world experience with our Internship Program for undergraduate, graduate, and post-grad students. Our interns have the opportunity to explore all types of practice areas from civil to criminal in Virginia and federal courts. Attend trials, hearings, mediations, arbitrations, depositions, and even meet with clients.
Our Internship Program can be used to fulfill school credit for programs that require an internship or externship to earn a degree. The objectives of this program allow interns:
- to obtain real-life experience in a law firm;
- to learn about working in a legal practice with civil and criminal cases; and
- to get acquainted with the overall legal profession.
Our interns will typically perform tasks that include drafting court documents, researching case law, scheduling court hearings, assisting with case preparation, and more.
To participate in our Internship Program, all applicants must:
- be enrolled in upcoming semester at an accredited U.S. college or university;
- have a recommendation and permission from an academic advisor to participate in an off-campus internship;
- strong writing skills; and
- research experience (legal preferred).
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for the program:
- a cover letter stating reasons for applying;
- a CV or resume;
- two written letters of reference;
- a writing sample (legal work sample preferred); and
- copies of any college or university degrees, and (or) transcripts (unofficial are accepted).
Applications that are submitted outside the requirements listed above will be regarded as incomplete, and may not be considered.
Send completed applications to:
Intern Program Administrator
Law Office of Carteia Basnight
1919 Commerce Drive
Hampton, VA 23666
Please contact us here if you have any questions.